This is organized into several general categories. It includes only changes that may be useful to users who upgrade to iData Pro 4 from iData 3 (and earlier versions).
routines to synchronize datafiles via Dropbox,
replacing the routines for the now defunct
MobileMe/iDisk. (Due to changes in the Dropbox
framework, iData Pro now requires Mac OS 10.10
2. Instead of preventing the creation of WiFi sync files over 5 MB in size, iData now just puts up a warning, which can be ignored.
3. Added a note to the Modify Fields window that is shown when the datafile has a sync ID, explaining that fields cannot be inserted or deleted.
5. Added Save As New Sync File... item to the File menu. This
menu item is to be used when creating a new sync file.
Datafiles... under the File menu is now
to be used only
when synchronizing two existing datafiles. Previously,
Datafiles... performed both functions,
depending on whether the current datafile had a Sync
ID. This change is added to increase flexibility in
cases where the user needs to create more than one
sync file for a particular datafile.
7. Added a new
Download Datafile via WiFi... item to the
File menu. This provides a way for
datafiles that are created in iData Mobile Plus
to be downloaded to the Mac over a WiFi
connection. See the User Guide item.
Once downloaded, they can be synced as usual.
1 . Added a Toggle
button with a magnifying glass icon between the
Search buttons (at the left side of the
Find Box). This toggles between the normal
search function and a simple record filter
(selection) function. When the filter function
is active, the Backward
Search button changes to a Select All
button, while the Forward Search button changes to
a Quick Select
button. (See the
User Guide for this change and the
2. Added an option to use Web search engine-style entry of target strings in the Find Box. Option-clicking the Toggle button changes the button icon between a left-slanting magnifying glass with an ampersand in it (showing that target strings should be in classic iData style) and a right-slanting magnifying glass with double quotes (showing that target strings should be in search engine style, with spaces separating multiple targets and double quotes required to include spaces as part of the target). In both cases, unlike Web search engines, non-alphanumeric characters are not treated as spaces.
3. Added a Beep When Find
Fails checkbox to the General
4. Made the
following changes regarding case-sensitive searching:
(See User Guide.)
5. When a search finds the target text in the Freeform Text Area, the text color is now temporarily changed to a color. This makes it much easier to see the selected text when the FTA is not active. See in User Guide.
6. Added a Set Found Text Color: item to the General preference pane. The default color is red, but this may not be the best color for everyone.
7. When a search finds the target text in one or more fields, one field is made active and the field text is changed to a color. See in User Guide.
8. Changed ampersand search symbol from '&' to &&. This was done because the straight single quotes will be automatically changed to curly quotes if “smart quotes” are turned on in System Preference, causing the search to fail. Also, && is used in iData Mobile Plus and is easier to type.
NOTE: Since the
Find Box will not be active in this case, you cannot
use a simple return
or shift-return to
repeat the search. So, it is probably best to simply
get into the habit of using command- G for forward searches and command-shift-G
for reverse searches in all cases.
9. Added a new Disable Search Option Button menu item to the Find sub-menu under the Edit menu. Clicking this menu item disables the Search Option Button (the magnifying glass icon) at the left of the Find Box, and the item name then changes to Enable Search Option Button. Disabling the Search Option Button will ensure that you don't accidentally change your search mode without noticing it.10. The Multi-File Find function window now displays the name of each datafile in the Searching in: text field as it is being searched.
11. The Bring Datafile Forward
button in the Multi-File Find window will now
be disabled if the user selects Close All Open
Datafiles in the File menu.
Added a Sort Tasks
sub-menu to the Edit
menu. When sorting a datafile using the Sort Datafile...
menu item in the Edit
menu, the sort dialogs now include an option to add
the sorting options you have selected as a named "sort
task" to the Sort
Tasks sub-menu. To repeat a particular set of
sorting options at any time, you just select that sort
task from the sub-menu. These tasks are
datafile-specific, and you can have as many as you
need for any datafile. A sort task item may be removed
from the sub-menu by holding down the option key while selecting the item.
See in User
Added two new functions to perform case-insensitive
sorting of text in the Freeform Text Area (FTA) of a
record as lines. They are Sort
Current FTA By Line and Reverse Sort
Current FTA By Line, both under the Edit menu. These
functions affect only the FTA of the current record.
(If the text includes blank lines, they will be sorted
together at the top of the FTA -- or at the bottom, in
the case of the reverse sort. Some non-alphanumeric
characters will sort toward the top, others toward the
1. Changed the
default filename extension for files exported as
tab-delimited from .tab.txt to .tab.
2. Added CSV (Comma Separated Values) File... to the Export As and Import sub-menus under the File menu.
importing of CSV (Comma Separated Values) files.
Missing field data and excess field data are now
made to fit, and noted within the datafile.
4. Added iData 2 Template... item to the Import sub-menu,
under the File
5. Removed iData 2 Datafiles Folder... and iData Datafiles Folder...
items from the Import
sub-menu, under the File
menu. iData 2 and iData 1 datafiles can still be
imported individually. (Eleven years seemed long
enough to retain those items.)
6. Removed Apple Address Book item from the Import sub-menu under the File menu. It has become impossible to automate the creation of a useful field-based datafile from the Address Book, due to the large number of entry categories and formats.
1. Added Delete All Selected Records menu
item to the Records sub-menu under the Edit
menu. Before deleting all selected records, the
pre-deletion datafile is backed up to a Backups
folder. The backed up datafile will have the
Name MM-DD-YY_hh•mm•ss (i.e.
month-day-year_hour-minute-second). The backup
process can be turned off (and back on) by using
backup datafiles after Delete Selected Records
operation checkbox in the Special preference
2. Added a Lock
Button to the right of the Find Box. This button
toggles the locked state of the current record.
When the record is locked, the Lock Button icon
is a locked padlock. When it is unlocked, it is
an unlocked padlock. No text changes can be made
to a locked record. The locked state persists
when the datafile is closed.
3. Added the following items to the Records sub-menu of the Edit menu: Lock All Records, Unlock All Records, and Undo Previous Lock/Unlock All.
Added Scale Freeform
Text Area sub-menu to the View menu. This
sub-menu includes a range of scale values from 10% through 6400%. The 100% item can be
selected using command-shift-zero). There are also Reduce
(command-shift-hyphen) and Enlarge (command-shift-equal) items. A
group of Reduce
toolbar buttons have also been added. (Select Customize Toolbar…
under the View
menu to add that group to your toolbar.) Scaling
applies only to the Freeform Text Area, since it is
likely to include pasted text and images, while the
text sizes for the Find Box and Fields can be set in
datafile settings. Scaling applies to all records, but
does not persist when the datafile is closed. See User Guide.
Print Current Freeform Selection… to the Print sub-menu
under the File
This command will print whatever text is selected
(highlighted) in the Freeform Text Area of the current
record. See User
6. Added a new Record Size item to the Show Record Information function (under the View menu).
7. Added a toolbar button that brings up the Record Information window. The User Guide for this item has been updated.
8. When the URL, window title, or text/images from the clipboard are added to the Freeform Text Area (FTA) of the current record, the Grab Web Address functions now activate the FTA and place the text insertion point at the end of the inserted text. If the URL and window title are added to fields and nothing is added from the clipboard, the text insertion point is placed in the Find Box.
9. Modified the Grab Web Address functions to work correctly when running under Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave) and greater. See the User Guide for changes to this function.
and App Related
1. Added an Always restore the previous session when iData opens checkbox to the Special preference pane.
2. Added a Close All Open Datafiles item to the File menu. The hot key for this is command-option-W. This menu item closes only datafiles, not any other windows that may also be open (such as the Multi-File Find panel).
3. Added Set new password for this datafile: item to the General datafile
settings. Note that setting a password will NOT provide any
real security, since datafiles can be opened in any
word processor. This function is provided simply as a
management tool for administrators who need to
restrict the ability to change datafile content to
specific individuals. See
6. When opening a datafile, iData now checks to see if the number of records in the Catalog listing (which determines which records are viewed, and in what order) matches the number of records actually contained in the datafile. If a discrepancy is found, the user is asked whether to correct it or ignore it. This kind of error can occur if a datafile is corrupted -- for example, while being transmitted by email, or due to a power outage while it is being saved.
7. Added a Change Datafiles Folder... menu item
to the Datafiles
menu. This item lets you change to a different folder
to be used by iData Pro to build the Datafiles menu.
See in User
10. Now, when a new field-based datafile is created, the divider between the fields and the Freeform Text Area is moved down enough to show at least one record.
11. Added a Warn when datafile size is greater than 1 GB checkbox to the General tab of the Datafile Settings window. This was added because it has come to my attention that datafiles around 2 GB in size cannot be opened in iData Pro, so this warning will give the user a chance to split the datafile, or otherwise reduce its size, before it is too late. See Datafile Settings in the User Guide.
12. Added a new item, Strip Highlights in All Selected Records to the Format menu. See the User Guide for this item.
13. Added a new Set Freeform Text Area Background Color item to the General tab in the Datafile Settings window. The User Guide for this item has been updated.
14. Added a new item, Current Field in Next Record to the Activate sub-menu, under the Edit menu. The command key for this menu item is option-command-] (option-command-right square bracket). In the case of freeform datafiles, the Freeform Text Area is activated in the next record, since there are no fields. This is useful when filling in the same field in a large number of records, as might be necessary if you add a new field to an existing datafile.
15. Added a Create Links for All Phone Numbers item to the Format menu. This function uses the Telephone Number Templates list in the Dialing tab of the Preferences window, scans the Freeform Text Area and fields of all records for phone numbers that match any of the templates, and then adds a tel:// link to the phone number text. These links will also be tappable when synced to iData Mobile Plus. See the User Guide for this item.
16. Now recognizes phone numbers preceded by tel:// as telephone number links. These links can be dialed using your iPhone if it is set up. Read the Apple article HERE. The User Guide for telephone dialing has been updated.
17. Added a Select Empty Fields button to the Modify fields dialog to select all fields that are empty in every record. If desired, these fields can then be deleted.
18. Added a Dial
Using FaceTime option to the Dialing
|Return to Main Help Page|